THE CALLING OF PROPHETS AND INTERCESSORS AND HOW THEY SHOULD RESPOND TO THEIR ROLES IN BUILDING THE KINGDOM OF GOD.
( KNOWING YOUR CALLING FROM GOD)
Iam very delighted to bring you this subject of prophets and intercessors and with examples of the Holy Scriptures we shall look at how the Prophets relate to the Ministry of Intercession and also how intercessors can relate to the Prophetic ministry. By the Grace of God given to me before creation of this world for his coming Glory let his name be -Life.
If we understand these two callings we shall be able to build the kingdom of God and dispel all evil forces by doing God’s work effectively and correctly.
We all understand that the calling of a prophet is to speak on behalf of God and therefore he stands in the presence of God and waits for the word of God and then give word of God to the people required to receive the message God has given and this makes them spokesmen for God. And the calling of a Prophet is a call from God before creation or before that person is born and in this we shall look at the calling of Jeremiah and Jeremiah challenge to the Prophetic Ministry as a baby.
It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, until the end of the eleventh year of Zedekiah the son of Josiah, king of Judah, until carrying Jerusalem captive in the fifth month. Then the word of the Lord came to me saying” before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified; I ordained you a Prophet to the nations” and the I said I; “Ah Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for Iam a youth. But the Lord said to me” do not say I am a youth, for you shall go to all whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Jeremiah1; 2-7.
From the above scriptures we see God telling Jeremiah and calling him at his youth age to the ministry of Prophetic and it was a challenge to the young boy like Jeremiah but God assured him that he already sanctified him for the ministry and he told him that he must speak to whom all he sends him to, and this included the other nations apart from the nation of Jeremiah was living in. so the ministry of a Prophet is to speak the word of God in any area he sends you to and any message, in other wards Prophets speak . Interms of callings of a prophet it depends on God but each prophet should not be the same in roles. Some Prophets are intercessors and the calling of intercessors is different therefore not all intercessors can be Prophets and not all Prophets can be intercessors because there are Prophets that can work independently and in this case we have Elijah who worked independently for the work against King Ahab and false prophets and with jezebel 1Kings18. Elijah took the prophetic ministry and he was successful to the ministry because his life was dedicated work for God only and this Spirit of Elijah has not been involved in the current church if the spirit of Elijah is restored back in the church all evil forces would be demolished, so we see Elijah the prophet was not an intercessor but he worked in one role of being a spokesman for God and this Israel was able to recognize the True God through Elijah according to the success in the prophetic Ministry and the anointing of false was exposed and everyone else was able to know that they are fake false gods and false Prophets.
With this example of Elijah we see that God has many ways of bringing up Prophets and each Prophet is raised according to the purpose of God and his will for the Prophet and each Prophet should not be the same in the character of another, each prophet has his own character according to God’s molding though many roles may see the same in the calling but no two prophets should look the same.
Another example we see Moses being a Prophet and an intercessor, because he was able to stand in the gap between the children and interceded for Israelites against an angry God because the children of Israel had rebelled against God.
Then the Lord said to Moses “How long will these people reject me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all signs which I have performed among them? I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them, and I will make of you a nation a greater and mightier than they.” And Moses said to the Lord; The Egyptians will hear it, for by your might you brought these people up from them and they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land. They have heard that you, Lord among these people; that you Lord, are seen face to face and your clouds stand above them, and you go before them in a Pillar of cloud by day and in a pillar of fire by Night. Now if you kill these people as one man, then nations which have heard of your fame will speak saying because the LORD was not able to bring this people to the land which He swore to give them, therefore he killed them in the wildernesses. And now I pray, let the power of my Lord be great, just as you have spoken, The Lord is longsuffering and abundant in mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression; But He by no means clears guilty, visiting the iniquity of the father on the children to the third generation to fourth generation. Pardon the iniquity of this people I pray, according to the greatness of your mercy, just as you have forgiven this people, from Egypt until now. Then the LORD said I have pardoned, according to your word. “But truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD. Numbers14; 13-20.
As you can see from the above Moses took on a ministry of intercession but he was a Prophet by his primary calling. Therefore we see that intercession cannot stop until the situation has been stopped and this occurs when God is angry against a rebellious he will allow disasters to occur in the nation and if intercessors stand in the gap correctly and do not stop God will pardon that nation from being punished. The reason so many disasters are occurring in the nation is that intercessors are not doing their of standing in the gap for God to save people.
Another lesson learnt is that Prophetic anointing is the Tank that fuels intercession ministry since the prophetic anointing demolishes evil forces therefore intercession will needed in the same ministry. So when the prophets see what God has revealed them it will be easy for them to intercede since they are the ones who see more than others. So the ministry of intercessors will be needed will be needed in the prophetic ministry to merge the roles in case of any problem rising against the nation especially when the nation is disobedient.
Another lesson I see in the intercession ministry is to be patient with God and the people therefore it needs more humility to work because God really to listen to you and pardon the iniquity you should be submitting to him totally and depending on him only. If an intercessor is also transgressor it will be difficult for him or her to intercede since he or he is not upright with God and therefore the iniquity would push him out of presence of God and his work will be jeopardy and all problems will be occurring from season to season if they do not do their work correctly and this means the Ministry of a Prophet and an Intercessor requires high levels of Holiness and righteousness before God so that what they speak will be put into effect. This requires total dedication of your Life to God.
The ministry of intercession on the other hand does not need selfishness and this means the people in the intercession ministry would be the most generous people, if God wants to do something in somebody life that is good the intercessor should be able to intercede without envying and this brought Moses to be one of the most humble Prophets and intercessors in the ministry of God because God had promised Moses he would make him a great nation and kill the people of Israel who had rebelled but Moses for sure did not take that opportunity he instead stood in the gap and prayed to God pardon them and he gave him reasons how people would say God failed to reach people he had promised them. That was a great demonstration from Moses because someone in this generation would have opted for God idea of making Moses a great nation. But Moses showed how he was also up to the challenge and Loved God’s people and he never wanted them to be destroyed and this is how the ministry of intercession where we should interceding for people God showed to us they would die and instead of jubilating about the Revelation of seeing someone dying we should seek God’s will regarding the revelation whether he wants the person alive or dead and pray for life. (Growing in the intercession). In most cases there are things that are happening on earth and God would not want them to be happening but because we don’t submit to God, his revelations pass us and we things end up happening.
Like I said some Prophets can be intercessors and also some intercessors are Prophets but there can be a calling of the two working independently, an intercessor working in a role a calling and a prophet working independently. And in this case have another example of Nathan the prophet was working independently in the ministry guiding David therefore his work was to speak for God against the Kings of Israel.
Then LORD sent Nathan to David. And he came to him, and said to him “ there were two men in one city, one rich and the other poor. The rich man had exceedingly many flocks and herds. But the poor man had nothing except the one little Ewe lamb which he nourished; and it grew up together with him and with his children. It ate his own food and drank from his own cup and lay in his bosom; and it was like a daughter to him. And a traveler came to the rich man, who refused to take from his herd and to prepare one for the wayfaring man who had come to him; but he took the poor’s man ewe lamb and prepared for the man who had come to him. So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man and he said to Nathan as the LORD lives the man who has done this shall surely die and he shall restore fourfold for the lamb. Because he did this and had no pity. Then Nathan said to David “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel I anointed you king over Israel and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave you your masters’ house and your master’s wives into your keeping and gave you the house of Israel and Judah and if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more. 2samuel12; 1-24.
We see how Nathan the Prophet was only a spokesman for God when his King was not in good books with him and therefore his ministry was only for speaking the word of God and give them direction on what God wants to do with them, he role was to stand in the presence of God to wait for his word and take it where it was needed over kings of Israel and Judah. So the ministry of a prophet depends on God’s communication and the Holy Spirit communication if there is no word from the Lord then ministry cannot function because they are directed by God. Jesus Christ is the teacher of his prophets because he knows which kind roles they would be since prophets suffer more than any other ministry and this means they can take on well intercession because they understand the heart of God and the suffering of the people they are interceding for. Long suffering is part of intercession and also the prophetic ministry this would enable them intercede for situations they understand or they have gone through. So prophets who only speak may not necessarily pray about the situations that are about to occur. Their work is to speak what God has given to them and they may wait until it has been fulfilled or even they may speak and things happen in their absence but the intercessors must pray until things shown have been destroyed if they were evil forces planning.
- They release the Holy Spirit and the angels to do the Fathers will on earth.
- They stand together to resist the attacks of the enemy on behalf of a church, a city or a nation.
- They explain God’s purpose for churches, cities and nations to his people.
- Some warn God’s people of danger and explain how they should respond to it.
- A few speak to the world and warn of judgment and describe how it can be averted (Jonah and Nineveh).
Intercessors and Prophets will sometimes receive a revelation of coming disasters, but the purpose will be different.
Revelation to Prophets
Prophets will sometimes receive a revelation of a future disaster.
- They are called to speak to God’s people and explain how God wants them to respond during the crisis. Following this guidance will lead to blessing.
- In some situations, they might need to flee to survive.
- In other situations, God will want them to stand their ground and suffer in the face of evil.
- A few prophets will be called to speak to a city or nation and warn of a danger that is coming as a consequence of sin. When they do this, they should also call the city or nation to repentance. They should also give guidance to God’s people about how they should respond.
- The revelations received by prophets will mostly be conditional. If the city or nation responds, appropriately, the event will be held back. The conditions for this should be clearly specified.
- Prophets should not be speaking out words about the future, just to show that God is clever. He does not play that game.
- Prophets speak with purpose. Without guidance, conditions or a challenge, a prophet is just a clanging gong.
- When prophets receive a revelation of trouble in the future, they should not speak immediately, but test the word with other people they trust.
- The prophet should also pray about when, how and to whom the word should be spoken. They should pray about what God wants his people to do and how he wants the city or nation to respond. Without these things, the prophetic word is not complete.
- God shows prophets things that will happen and explains what the people should do.
- For prophets, explaining what people must do is as important as warning of what will happen.
Revelation to Intercessors
God often reveals the plans of the enemy to intercessors, so they can stand against them in the Spirit and prevent the evil from occurring.
- God is showing them something that will not happen, if they are doing their job.
- These revelations can be scary, so intercession is not for the fainthearted.
- Intercessors should guard their revelations carefully and not hand them around casually (Matt 7:6).
- Intercessors should share and test their revelations with other intercessors who are strong enough to handle the revelation.
- When these revelations are circulated widely among Christians, they create confusion within the church. Even if the intercessors do their job and prevent the event from taking place, the enemy uses it for evil by inspiring fear.
- A revelation given to inspire intercession has several characteristics that can be confusing to other Christians.
- They usually do not take place, so Christians assume the revelation was wrong, without understanding that it was not fulfilled, because the intercessors did their job.
- They are sometimes symbolic. Ezekiel saw the sun, moon and stars going dark. This was not fulfilled literally, but was a description of Egypt’s Pharaohs being defeated by the Emperor of Babylon (Ezekiel 32:7). Intercessors need to be skilled in interpreting these symbolic messages.
- Another example for intercession is they should not give up whether the situation is bad or good, if God communicated to them about something Good happening then they should not stop interceding until they see it happening and therefore intercession calls for a lifetime calling and in this we shall see an example of Prophetess Anna and was an intercessor for all of her life and therefore no matter situation intercessors are supposed to endure and keep in the ministry it needs to be in the presence of God and to be guided by the Holy Spirit on what to do. Anna was an intercessor from her child hood and she took on the challenge of intercession and in this case she was interceding for the coming of Messiah until it would occur and effect, since she was revealed by God that a messiah would come from Judah and through the prophets they had spoken about it, but Anna interceded until the messiah was brought forth and this took much time about 50 years between her call and ministry therefore it needs patience, humility, submission to God in the ministry of intercession. It’s not for faint hearted people but for hard people who can endure situations imagine what Anna what she could have gone through her life and but she did not give up in her ministry
Here is the scripture in regards to Anna Ministry of Intercession.
Now there was one, Anna a prophetess the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher, she was of a great age, and had lived with her husband seven years from her virginity; and this woman was a widow of about eighty four years, who did not depart from the temple, but served with God with fastings and prayers night and day. And coming in that instant she gave thanks to the Lord, and spoke of Him to all those looked for redemption in Jerusalem. Luke2; 36-38
A lesson here would be Anna lost her husband but she did not give her ministry of intercession (understanding the intercession ministry). She remained a widow until she was 84years even more.
Another lesson is that intercession ministry needs to be more presence of God than any other ministry apart from the prophetic ministry. Anna used to go the temple to pray and fasted day and night until the Lord and savior was brought forth and this means she was successful in the ministry. (Growing in the intercession ministry)
The ministry of intercession needs much devotion to God and thanks giving is part of the ministry when God does the things that he had revealed to intercessors to pray about not to happen. (Becoming an intercessor)
Intercessors are often called to pray against evil attacks that God does not want to happen. In this situation, the revelation they receive, will not include a call to repentance, or specify conditions that must be met to prevent its fulfillment, as that is is not the purpose it was given.
- God does not give guidance about how to live through the evil events he reveals to intercessors, because he does not intend them to happen. When these revelations get into the hands of other Christians, they get confused, because they do not know what to do. The revelation is there with nothing around it.
- Most of the revelations received by intercessors will be things that God’s wants to do. They will happen if the intercessors pray seriously. Intercessors will need to be skilled in discerning between things that God wants to accomplish and the plans of the enemy that he wants to thwarted.
The role of prophet and intercessor sometimes merges in one person. When this happens, the person should be very careful to be clear about what they are doing. When they receive a revelation about the future, they should seek guidance from God about whether is for the prayer closet or the prophetic platform. They should also sort out if it is something God wants to do or a plan of the enemy that he wants to foil.
The absence of a prophetic voice in a city creates uncertainty about the cause of traumatic events and whether they have any spiritual significance. Most of the commentary on the events usually come from pastors whose focus is on providing pastoral care to people who had lost homes or family members. Their main goal is to put guilt and guidance out of scope, so they leave God’s purposes out of the situation. Unfortunately, many other Christians find this explanation inadequate and are uncertain about how they should respond to these events. They see Jesus applying spiritual significance to physical disasters (Luke 13:1-5) and want the same for their time.
Without a clear trumpet call, the people go and look for own answers. They get muddled and grab what they can. The dreams and voices that circulate from the fringes of the church where people have gone for insight, but they produced only fear and confusion.
Revelations that God has given to intercessors often circulate as prophecies about the future. This is creates confusion, because the revelations contain no guidance to Christians about how to respond. There is no call to repentance for the people of the world or condition that must be met to avert the disaster. This is not surprising, because that was not their purpose.
The intercessors should focus on doing their job by standing in prayer against the plans of the enemy that God has revealed to them. If the intercessors and are fulfilling their calling, these events will not take place. God has revealed these things to the intercessors, because he does not want them to happen.
The thirst for revelation that emerges during a crisis cannot be quenched by the revelations received by intercessors.
Where there is no revelation, the people are left naked (Prov 29:18).
Unfortunately, scraps from tables of the intercessors will not satisfy this hunger for revelation.
The problem is lack of revelation. We should be praying that God will release a clear prophetic voice that we may have better understanding of God’s purposes. If God is giving warnings about events that are going to happen, the prophets should be listening and seeking guidance about his plans for his people and asking what changes must take place to avert the disaster.
In conclusion, in both callings of intercession and prophetic its powered by the Holy Spirit because without the Holy Spirit revelation all of these ministries are retarded and cannot function and therefore we must always pay attention to the Voice of the Holy Spirit for directions and how he intends to do with God’s messages if we rush or work on our we shall have fall into the hands of the devil and mess up God’s work. The intercessors are not necessarily Prophets alone, Intercession ministry can also come from the callings of other Ministries like Apostleship depending on God, therefore Intercession is one of the biggest in the Kingdom of God and it has a lot of work to do than any other ministry. God needs more intercessors so that he would reveal his different works he wants to accomplish through the intercessors and the prophets. Therefore intercessors can be called alone into the ministry and also Prophets can be called into the Ministry independently. But at times intercessors can be prophets, Apostles, and also otherwise. But the Prophets suffer more than other ministries since they are to proclaim God’s word of truth to the people or the nation or world. God would take long in preparing the Prophets and intercessors through suffering in the wilderness.
I remain Asher Namanya the Bondservant of God the father and the Lord Jesus Christ.